(Middlezoy Aerodrome - located on the south side of this airfield) originated in the mid-1920s as a landing ground. It was used in 1926 by aircraft towing gunnery targets for the anti-aircraft training range off Watchet in the Bristol Channel. RAF Westonzoyland was opened in 1925 with summer camps lasting from May until September each year. It was later used by the Royal Air Force and United States Army Air Forces. During the war it was used primarily as an army co-operation airfield but several squadrons were based there with a variety of aircraft, including Spitfires, Hurricanes and Mosquitos. Gloster Meteor jets were stationed there for a short time before moving to RAF Culmhead in Somerset. After being stood down in 1947 it was recommissioned in 1952 as a Meteor jet training station to support the demands of the Korean War. Read more about the story of Westonzoyland Airfield here:
Wikipedia - RAF_Weston_Zoyland
More historic info & photos can be view here on our Facebook Page:
Middlezoy Aerodrome - Airfield History
"Creating the spirit of the past for the future"
Below are a selection of photos recording the building of Middlezoy Aerodrome up to today.
More photos & info can be viewed on our Social Media platforms (see links at the bottom of each page)
PLEASE NOTE: We are not associated with Westonzoyland Aviation Museum